The project “Conservation of the Lesser Spotted Eagle (Aquila pomarina) in Lithuanian
forests” (Eagles in the Forest, No LIFE09 NAT/LT/000235) which is funded by the EU financial
instrument “LIFE+” (Nature). Project started on the 1st of November 2010 and will end on 30th of
The project budget is 1.049.988 euro. The EU contributions is not more than 73,04 % or 766.933 euro.
– Ensure protection of 200 pairs of the Lesser Spotted Eagle from negative effects caused by commercial activities in the forests.
- Contribute to the improved effectiveness of the system for the protection of the Lesser Spotted Eagle nests.
- Raise awareness of general public and main stakeholders on the species, methods and importance of its conservation.
- To inventory of the Lesser Spotted Eagle nests in the area of 4564 km², this includes:
- 6 Natura 2000 sites designated for the species conservation in Lithuania;
- 7 additional territories, which are important for the species conservation in the country.
- To deliver information on the nests to forest managers, owners and the institutions controlling commercial activities.
- To improve support of the natural nests or install the artificial nests in order to ensure long-term conservation of 80 poor status nesting sites.
- To elaborate the new planning schemes for 6 Natura 2000 sites designated for the Lesser Spotted Eagle conservation.
- To develop the Lesser Spotted Eagle Action Plan.
- To organise seminars on protection of the Lesser Spotted Eagle nesting sites for the Regional Environmental Protection Departments and Environmental Protection Agencies
- To organise trainings on the species and its protection for the relevant staff of 20 State Forest Enterprises and directorates of protected territories.
- To carry out public awareness activities (development of the project web site, preparation of press releases, articles, leaflets, brochure on the Lesser Spotted Eagle and its conservation, development of 20 information stands in the Natura 2000 sites, preparation and use of the mobile photo exhibition).